Saturday 30 August 2008

Churchy folk and being struck down

I've been looking forward to Paul & Ruth's wedding for a long time. They are a lovely couple and Richard had been asked (and surprisingly said yes) to do the wedding photography for them.

The day didn't start well, Tilly woke up in a bad mood, not herself at all. Quite crotchety and not smiling at all, so I put her back to bed thinking she may improve if she had a bit more sleep. A little while later and after she woke up she was even worse, tears and screaming - her scream was high pitched and she clearly had a pain but I couldn't really work out where. After a while (45 minutes) of trying to console her on and off, she only calmed down when I was hugging her and rocking her, we gave her some Calpol. She still wasn't smiling. The time was getting on and we'd planned to leave at 8.30am, it was already 8.30am and I was still sitting in my dressing gown with wet hair, unable to get ready as Tilly seemed so upset. Richard packed the car with all our baby paraphernalia and then unpacked it as I thought it would be best if we stayed at home. She smirked a little and I knew that if I stayed, she'd more than likely be fine about an hour later leaving me at home missing all the fun. Richard packed the car once more and I made a quick dash around the house to get ready. She fell asleep in the car and seemed fine, phew perhaps we had made the right choice.


We arrived at Paul's and met his best men, they were all getting ready and didn't seem nervous at all. Which was a great thing I suppose as I rocked up with a slightly crotchety baby - the good thing is that they are the loveliest couple and Paul seems to really love children so he really didn't mind. I got changed proper and we went off to the church. I was nervous for Richard who was tooled up to the gills with cameras (2 high spec digital ones), a bum bag (i kid you not) with lenses and other gadgets in and a bag full of other cameras, memory cards and a cine camera.
I got comfy at the back of the church (strategically placed near the door) as the guests started to arrive and Tilly fell asleep. All was going quite well.
The congregation all knew each other and they all seemed to know each other from the church, or other similar faith communities. I was asked several times if I knew them from church, I felt embarrassed by my heathenistic lack of religion and mumbled into the back of the pews.
The ceremony was lovely if a little evangelistic for me, there was a 20 minute long worship via song (funky songs but still about loving the lord). The service lasted for nearly an hour and a half, after that we watched Richard sweat in the hot heat taking photographs and looking really professional with his tripod and remote control.

It was getting nearer the time to finish up at the church and go to the reception and Tilly was tired and hungry. I took her to the car and fed her, rather than put her in the pram I thought I'd pop her in her car seat to avoid moving her again. As I stepped out of the rear passenger door with Tilly in my arms, I stumbled over a boulder that had been put on the grass next to the car parking space. As I tried to regain my footing I almost caught myself but then went on the evenly space boulder and I felt myself falling in slow motion. I was petrified, I had Tilly in my arms and I started to fall face down, all I could see were more rocks. I was so scared Tilly's head would hit one, I screamed and swung my body with force to try to fall with her on top of me. I only made it half way and then the last section happened so quickly I don't remember much just that I'd missed the rock and Tilly was on the floor. Richard had heard me scream and all he saw was me and her on the floor, as I screamed desperately trying to get to my feet and pick up Tilly I could see Richard running towards me, bumbag open and lenses going everywhere. I knew she'd hit her head a little. I held her so tightly and although she was screaming I was trying to re-piece the fall in my head, how high had she been when she'd left my arms? I was sure my elbow had already hit the floor so it can't have been that bad . . ? Richard came up beside us and I was shaking, I was repeated trying to calm her down and telling myself and everyone else that she'd be OK, I think this was mainly for my own reassurance. Then Richard spotted blood coming from her mouth, my heart nearly stopped. Oh my goodness, what had I done?
I rushed into the church and asked for a first aider, no idea what they were going to do but I wanted someone to tell me it was OK. Meanwhile, all this time Tilly had been held so close to me, and with all the fuss she had stopped crying. She must be OK, she looked very interested at all the palaver that was going on. I was made to sit down and as I tried to work out just how she had cut inside her mouth with no teeth, I noticed people were wiping away blood from my arm. I couldn't care less that I was bleeding, I hadn't even noticed, I just wanted Tilly to be OK.
A lovely lady called Maggie took charge and insisted I needed to go home with her, she insisted I needed a cup of tea and a sit down, she was probably right. Richard nearly came with us but I was very embarrassed and desperately didn't want him to miss any photos for Paul & Ruth's big day as I'd made a tit of myself.
I went round to Maggie's house and she was right, a cup of tea and a calm space was just what we needed. Tilly was fine, very alert and smiley. Thank goodness.

No comments: