Friday 8 August 2008

Real poo

Today was going to be about Tilly's hair growing and her increasing ability to sit up unaided for longer and longer. But then it happened, another pooing incident.

We've had a lovely day. She was in her bouncer and suddenly her face strained, she went red and then started to cry. I quickly removed her from the bouncer. This last week we have progressed from thicker and thicker baby rice to HiPP organic baby food jars. Rather crudely this was bound to change the consistency. She continued to strain and I took her upstairs to her changing unit. I thought I could try to help with what I'd learnt from baby massage. She was crying quite a bit, I was trying to console her but I knew there was nothing I could do but reassure her. I felt so sorry for her. Every time she tried to push, I could see a combination of discomfort and fear in her eyes. I felt totally helpless. I stood over her, holding her hand with my left hand and supporting her legs with my right. She was pushing and crying, she looked petrified. I kept telling her it was OK but I just wanted it to stop. All I could think of was how confusing it must be for her, her poos have always been dramas for me but never for her. They've always been fluid and painless. This, I could tell was going to be different. Then it came with a scream from her - a small, perfectly round hardish little log, followed quickly by another. As it came out, her scream turned from pain to relief, she was still crying almost in horror for what had just happened to her. I was shocked, they've never been like that before. They were like little cat poos. I thought she'd finished. But then her cries were louder again and I could hear Richard's car pull up outside. All I could think of was that it reminded me of my labour. There I was holding her hand . . reassuring her that she needed to push, that it would be OK. And in turn there she was screaming, looking scared at this strange and horrific thing that was happening to her body. Richard came upstairs and there I was in the final stages helping her dispel it all, which was now coming out like toothpaste. What a welcome home! After it was over, I put a nappy back on, picked her up and held her. She calmed down and her tears dried.

I could tell that Richard contemplated, just for a second (as did I) taking a photo of the results of this new phenomenon. But as the thought entered my mind and one half said 'yeah' the other half thankfully brought it back with a resounding 'Oh my goodness, no Shiv, that is a revolting thought'. Tilly is going to hate us enough with all this documentation. Some things are best left to the imagination.

Richard did take a photo of the after effects of this latest event - a surprised, tear stained face.

1 comment:

blues singer said...

thank you for not taking a picture, but the description was great!