Thursday 1 January 2009

Night crawling

Before Christmas Tilly was into quite a good sleeping pattern (for her anyway) only waking once in the night. Usually just after 4am and it normally required a quick reassurance and then back off to sleep.  My body had been tricked into this pattern and I was getting used to it.  By about the 22 December this all changed again to a few small stirrings and usually one almighty one that involved screaming and crying sometimes for about 15 minutes.  I'm not sure what caused this change but my body wasn't used to it anymore.  As mum is staying I'm less likely to let her cry, instead I'm sitting by the cot shusshing her behind a blanket so she can't see me, then crawling like the SAS (she can't see me) out of the room back into ours.  Shoomi has often been sitting in the landing during these crawling sessions and although she is a cat I swear she still has the ability to lift her brow!  I know it is daft but I'll do anything for a better nights sleep even crawling very slowly on my hands and knees minding all the creaking bits in the floor (of which I know well).   

Anyway, over the last few nights it has changed again.  This time even worse.  It seems that as she has learnt to crawl during the day she is also now using her new ability in her sleep.   Each night I place her with her feet to the foot of the bed on her back to sleep, after a few hours she is on her hands and knees, her head scrunched up in the bars at the top of the cot.  I have to go in flip her over, pull her down and then try to settle her back to sleep.  This is where the problem lies, usually if I don't wake her much she'll go back to sleep quickly.  But now she is waking fully as she is distressed at being at the top of the cot and on her front and to get her back to normal I have to move her a bit which of course wakes her up more.  Last night I was up every hour and a half, flipping her over and pulling her back down.  I think there is probably something in the child rights about not being strapped down to sleep but I wish they'd reconsider. 

No comments: