Sunday 4 January 2009

Oxford

Day out in Oxford today, bloody freezing temperatures, -3 all the way down and it must've been colder than that with the wind.  
We arranged to meet up with Uncle John, I wish I'd taken my microphone. It was lovely sitting in Starbucks listening to him and mum tell stories.  John kept putting on a thick Yorkshire accent and doing impressions of 'Norm' - a guy who never had a puncture, always a pumpture . . .'cause you pump it up'.   Brilliant.  It reminded me slightly of the scene in Mary Poppins where they are all laughing and they float up to the ceiling, the jokes were kind of similar. 


It was sad to see John with Tilly, he is like mum, can make kids laugh and entertain them.  I remember many times being excited that John was coming, lots of thumb disappearing gags and knee bouncing.   He has two granddaughters but doesn't see them anymore, and hasn't for years. Such a shame, they grow up so quickly and I think it is a crime if people are stopped from seeing their grandparents.  If adults have a gripe that is one thing but don't neglect your children's rights to know their relatives.  I'm not sure what happened but there comes a time to bite the bullet and sort it out, if not for your children for your own conscience.   I did that with Pat.  When I made contact with him, it was purely for selfish reasons.  It wasn't that I was desperate to see him or have a father figure in my life but something that Simon had said to me about his own father.  He didn't get the chance to say certain things and was sad about that.  One of the main reasons for me contacting Pat was to make peace, to know that I'd done all I could to set the record straight and sound anything happen I would not feel guilty or wonder 'what if'?'.   We have a contact relationship but it is very sparce, a parcel here and there a birthday card and that is about it.  At some point soon I will take Matilda to see him, if not just for her to have a photo of her and her grandfather - what right have I to stop her from having that chance, that photo? 

No comments: