Monday 5 January 2009

Just say the word . . .

Richard always mocks me that I don't have a hobby. I hardly think that it is something to be ashamed of!  I do have a hobby - having hobbies. Every time I say I'm interested in something new; family trees, cooking, baking, making cards, making jewellery or whatever Richard gets so excited for me and gets me the book, the kit etc to make it happen. All of which is very sweet but sometimes I may still be making up my mind. So, when I happened to mention that I'd like to learn to crochet, no sooner had the words left my lips than a book appeared on my lap 'Knitting and Crocheting'. I could see a gleam of excitement in Mum's eye and five minutes later she'd got me a 'Crochet a Hat kit' for 8 year olds. Before Matilda had even gone to bed mum had got the wool and the hook out and was looping and giving me the most complicated instructions.
No sooner was Tilly down I sat down and learnt with mother! "Loop, hook, catch and pull . . .twist it a little, no . . pull the wool this way, give it slack . .. .pull it tight." You see, this is why all my hobbies come to an abrupt end, I am impatient and if I can't crack it I give up. After a quick tutorial mum left me to it, when she returned I was packing up the Christmas decorations having had quite enough of looping, hooking and twisting with no results. I gave it another go and although it was untidy I started to get the hang of it. I did a bit more in bed, much to Richard's annoyance as the crochet hook squeaks each time it goes through the wool. I'm only doing a scarf at the moment, the instructions for anything more fancy look far too complicated at this stage . . So who knows? Maybe everyone should expect crocheted garments for Christmas next year.. . or perhaps (and far more likely) this will be another phase.

3 comments:

blues singer said...

Blogging is a hobby isn't it?

blues singer said...

How is the crocheting going? Did you make that hat? My knitting has been temporarily suspended due to lack of skill!

Matilda's Mum said...

I didn't finish the hat, much to Richard's smirks. I think my lack of maths ability to count how many I'd done put a stop to the weird shape that was emerging! I must keep going with it, in a few weekends time I will pick it back up - and then it will be summer and she won't need it!