Sunday 20 July 2008

Frumpy 40 year old

I want to go swimming with Tilly. I don't have a swimming costume that I fit in anymore, the ones I have fit my honeymoon body, a svelte 8 stone body with a tiny tummy and smaller breasts. I tried to squeeze into one the other day and I was bulging out over the edges, particularly of the bust area. I couldn't possibly going swimming publically in that, I might flop out!

We went shopping in Tescos and there was a swimming costume that had a pattern on it and had a sticker saying Tummy Control. That is what I need - Tummy Control. The bust area had an inbuilt bra with supporting cups and it was only £15 - a bargain. I thought the pattern was a bit bright but that may help disguise any creases and bulges. I was excited I could now go swimming with Tilly and when I got home I went upstairs to try it on. Perhaps not something I would have rushed to buy, but it looked OK and it had 'Tummy Control'.

Emerging from the bedroom displaying the new garment I said to Richard "I'm going to go swimming with Tilly. What do you think?"
"Hummm" he said.
"What does humm mean? Don't you like it?"
"You look like a frumpy 40 year old. "
Well, thanks a lot. You sure know how to pep up a girl whose just had a baby. Admittedly, when I looked upset he did say it was mainly down to the pattern. But as any woman will know that has just had a baby, you already feel self conscious enough.

I don't really like it anymore. The pattern is a bit old fashioned but a) I can't afford a nice one and b) it has Tummy Control! I really want to go swimming with Tilly but with that thought lurking in the back of my mind I don't think I'll be brave enough to get out of the changing room.

No comments: