Saturday 1 November 2008

Poorly Tilly

I've been waiting for months to go on a spa day with Heather.  A present we were both bought from work when we left on maternity leave.  Finally the day had arrived, Richard, Brad and the babies were going to go into Stratford while we enjoyed ourselves and had a good girly chatter. 

I left the spa relaxed but it immediately disappeared when Richard was looking very worried and stressed and disappeared with a screaming Tilly to the car.  She was burning up, she'd slept all afternoon and was miserable, not like her at all.  When we got home she was very hot, she was very needy and very unhappy.  She didn't want any food, milk or anything.  We gave her Calpol and tried to put her to bed. She was awake with a bad cough every 20 minutes so I eventually sat cuddling her on the sofa.  The fever stayed all night, she continued to cry every 20 minutes all night.  We booked her in at the doctors the next day.  

This week was a busy week, the final week before the premiere of Coventry Market the Musical!, not a great time to be off.  So Richard and I took it in turns to do half a day each.  
The doctor took one look at her throat and prescribed us some antibiotics. Tilly was very drowsy and cuddly, she just wanted to be held and comforted.  I got home and gave her the antibiotics and Calpol and she went to sleep.  Later that night I gave her the second of the antibiotic doses.  As soon as she'd swallowed it I'd suddenly realised that I'd got mixed up, the doctor told me to give her 5ml of Calpol.  I looked at the antibiotic bottle and it said 2.5ml, my heart sank as I realised I'd given her an overdose, I'd given her 5ml twice.   Richard phoned NHS direct and eventually they said it would be OK as long as we keep an eye on her.  I felt terrible and so guilty.  What a cock up. 

Tilly has remained snotty, vulnerable and poorly most of the week. She has only started to be normal perky Tilly again since yesterday, though still full of snot.   
It has been a total struggle to juggle work (the busiest time), poorly Tilly and Richard's work commitments too.  I feel also like I've let Richard down again, David asked me to stay for an important meeting at 1pm.  I was supposed to be back by 1pm, I texted Richard and he agreed to stay. The meeting went on longer than it should have and I let him down badly.  Once again I have a lot of making up to do when we are all better.  I think we all need a break and some quality time together. 

No comments: