Sunday 2 November 2008

Mummy bad . . Daddy good

Matilda is at a lovely age at the moment, she is confident, able to entertain herself, understand certain words and meanings and is really fun to be with. For quite some time if I've asked 'Where's Shoomi' she'll immediately look down to the floor and around, as soon as she catches a glimpse of her she beams from ear to ear. Along with this she can understand Daddy and is just starting to look for me when we say Mummy.  

For some reason she finds it totally hilarious when I put my glasses on.  Yesterday she looked at my glasses on the side of the sofa and then looked up at my face and on top of my head to check if they were there.  I was amazed - she is really starting to understand life in her own small way. 
Later in the same afternoon, she had been standing up against the sofa and she dropped her plastic ring, it made a noise as it bounced on the hardwood floor and then wobbled like a spinning top.  Tilly picked up the ring again and, on purpose dropped the ring to make it do the same.  I find these moments of realisation so exciting.  I sat and watched her continue to repeat it again and again for the next 15 minutes. 

She watches everything so intently, so desperate to understand more.  She makes me giggle when I brush my teeth and she smiles at me, fascinated by what is going on, checking it out in the mirror and up close in my face.  I know she is learning as only a few minutes later she opens her mouth and smiles when her own tiny white teeth make the same noise against her toothbrush.

Tilly has been babbling away for quite some time, she is often making noises and everyone says it won't be long before she is talking. Her most lovely and most recent noises have been 'burbbbburrbbbbbburrrbbb' with her mouth (like a raspberry but much cuter) and a very knowing and confident 'da, da, da' .  The latter is said almost as if is 'that' or her own way of naming something, she is usually bashing the item at the time.   With this new babbling also has come a few occasions of 'mum', 'mama', muuummmm' and of course 'dada' and 'daadddi'.  These have always been just babblings and sadly not a way of calling us, which of course is very frustrating as we know she is capable of saying them she is just not able to say them at the right time.   This weekend her 'words' have become more defined, still not totally recognisable and definite to us but I have noticed a very obvious 'Muummmmmmaaa' when she is sad and a 'DaDa' when she is content and jabbering away.  

Tonight we made Tilly cry screams of fear, the only time I've heard her like that before was the first pooing incident.  We were watching the final race of the Formula 1 season, it was down to the wire, the final laps.  We were desperate for Massa to win the championship, but it was Hamilton's to lose, he only had to finish in 5th place. With only one lap to go, Vettel overtook Hamilton putting him in 6th and both Richard and I yelped with excitement, taking to our feet. Tilly looked shocked and horrified and immediately screamed, it took me ages to console her. And after all that Hamilton won anyway. Arse. 

1 comment:

Clare said...

Just wanted to say I really enjoy reading your blog, its nice to read a real persons experience of children and life.

It would be lovely if we could meet up when my bump arrives next year

Clare
xx