Wednesday 2 April 2008

Baby signing

Met Rita today, the Health Visitor, she is so lovely. I was really scared about her coming around and 'inspecting' but it wasn't like that at all. She was very supportive and gave me more leaflets about contraception (oh purlease!), cot death and breastfeeding. She didn't weigh Tilly today as she has just come back to work and has a bad knee so couldn't carry the scales. They'll come round and do it next week.

Later I went along to the Tile Hill breastfeeding cafe, I'm determined to get some help from someone when she is awake! It was my first journey out in the car. I'm so proud of myself that I'm not only up and about but can go further than just walking distance. I daren't take the car seat out yet though as I'm worried I won't get it back in safely so I transferred her from the seat to the pram and back in again. Kinda makes a mockery of the whole travel system with the seat clipping onto the pram base.

I walked into the room, the door was closed and as I opened it there were lots of people, unlike the Whoberley one. They were all sitting around in a group, they turned, stared and then carried on. Erica came up to me and walked me towards an empty chair. Tilly was asleep. They announced that they were about to start, baby signing. Wow, I want to do that anyway. I know she's a bit young but I can learn can't I? They didn't do anything other than chat at Whoberley, Tile Hill had activities. As I Tilly was asleep I just sat there and learnt the songs and signs. I had a chat to a peer mentor who told me that breastfeeding would get better soon. She had a little boy, not sure how old, maybe 8 months. She scared me a little about sleeping. She's told me I must start getting good sleep habits with Tilly now, no rocking, feeding or walking to sleep. There were horror stories that her little boy hasn't slept at all well and has to be held to sleep. I'm starting to get paranoid.

I'd asked Richard to mention to Ed and Katherine that I was going along to the session but she didn't turn up. I feel great for getting out and so proud I'm fully mobile now . . .where next?

No comments: