Thursday 20 March 2008

A shock 'innit?

I've got mastitis. I'm still not mastering breastfeeding and my milk is building up so much it is getting blocked in the ducts. It is so sore. Been to see the nurse and she has given me some anti-biotics to take.

I had to go to the chemists to get the prescription. I was waiting there with Tilly in my arms, she wasn't crying but was on the verge. It was busy, lots of people coming up to me wanting to talk, wanting to get past me and my pram that was in the way. I had my big puffer jacket on and as Tilly started to cry I got hotter and hotter. I felt like I was melting as I bumped up and down trying to shussh her.
An older lady came up to me, asked me how old she was, was she my first? She leant in towards me and said "It's a shock 'innit?" I laughed, yes it is. The realisation that she knew how I felt made me laugh some more, followed by relief. How I'm feeling must be normal right? It must be with a comment like that and that look in her eye. I was giggling with hysteria waiting for the prescription, this is the first time I've laughed in a few days and it felt good. I got my drugs and walked back up the hill smiling. I may have sore breasts, cracked nipples and my stitches still hurt a little but I could tell that what I was feeling was normal - a stranger has confirmed in one sentence how I feel. Yes - it is a shock.

No comments: