Saturday 22 December 2012

Gingerbread house

For the last four years I've made a gingerbread house, it has kind of become a family tradition. The first was very basic, the second and third similar. Tilly helped me decorate last years and we put a decorated Tilly & her best friend Niamh outside. This year I thought I make myself have a challenge by making a replica of our house out of gingerbread. First, I made a cardboard mock up (which would also form the shapes to cut around for the parts). It also helped me work out how many pieces I'd need.
Next, I rolled out the gingerbread and cut the right shapes out. I'd learnt from previous years to re cut the ginger bread as soon as I took it out of the oven to get sharp lines. I melted chocolate to use as the 'glue' to stick the walls and roof together.
Then for the fun part. We decorated with chocolate buttons, candy canes, chocolate fingers, jelly tots and it was done. I was so pleased.
What is more it *really* does look like my house. .. .hurrah.
and so now, the challenge really is on for next year. . . what ever shall I make?

No comments: